Thursday 7 May 2009

Being Bad Questionaire

Age: 19

Sex: Male
Does ‘Being Bad’ relate well to the other modules you are taking?
Yes.

If so, how? And if not, why not?
As a film studies student the section on Bad Cinema helps me link with my other film modules, especially in regards to the codes governing films.

Have you found ‘Being Bad’ too demanding, too easy, or at an appropriate level?

An appropriate level.

Do you think the list of topics covered on the module was appropriate?
The topics really covered all the bases, I struggle to thing of other subjects surrounding the idea of Being Bad - They were appropriate.

Are there any topics not included in the module that you would like to see included?
See above.

Do you think that the format for classes has worked well?
Yes, the blog workshop prior to the lecture was a brilliant idea, the subjects were varied. The use of handouts helped was an excellent choice as finding information on some of the topic discussed such as "Masturbation" could have thrown up some bad results and been embarrassing.

What did you think of the module team?
Each team member was well researched and engaging in the approach they took to there specific topic.

Do you think it would have been better to have had more:

Small group discussions?
No, the room didn't really lend itself to that kind of working.

Discussion and debate among the class as a whole?
I felt there was adequate debate going on, individuals were given the opportunity to give their opinions on topics.

Information and talk from lecturers?
The talk and info were more than adequate.

The approach taken in the module is interdisciplinary (drawing on perspectives from English Literature, Film Studies, Creative Writing, Philosophy, Media Studies and Politics): do you think this a useful way of approaching the topics covered in the module?
Yes, by using these links it helped to give better understanding of a topics position in the world.

Do you think that interdisciplinary modules are a good idea?
Yes, especially if the module given as a core option on the various interdisciplinary modules, this way students will be better equipped to tackle certain subjects. For example Film Studies helped me answer the Bad Cinema questions.

Do you think you have benefited from the interdisciplinary approach taken in the module?
Yes, I have gained a greater understanding of the various disciplinary modules.
Would you like to see more modules that cover this kind of subject matter?
Yes, the module was different but still relevant, which made it more enjoyable.

Are you planning to take the follow-up module PH2004 ‘It Shouldn't’t Be Allowed’ at level 2?
If it is similar to this module I would be happy too, however it would depend on if the module is relevant to my degree.

Would you recommend ‘Being Bad’ to a friend?
Without hesitation.

Do you think that the blogs (web logs) were a good idea?
Yes and no, they were enjoyable to an extent, sometimes subjects could be hard to write about. More importantly I felt that there wasn't enough clarifications initially with the rules. Mainly in that the course guide, states "Each post must carry a different date marker." Whilst I endeavoured to write a post each week, towards the end I fell behind. As such I began making marker posts which I could come back to later and paste in posts I had written in word before the deadline. By saving as a draft and posting later the post would be uploaded under the date that I made the draft. I feel that I shouldn't be penalised for this as in the module guide it states CLEARLY that each post should carry a different date marker. It however does not say anything about marker posts or uploading multiple posts on the same day with different date markers. Due to the LACK of clarity in these rules I feel I should not be penalised for this, as it is technically staying within the rule stating that "Each post must have a different date marker." Which it did.

What did you think of the other assessments (e.g. would it be better to have one longer assessment rather than two shorter ones?)?

I feel that the shorter assessments work better, they are more manageable and a comfortable size. They also offer more piece of chances to perfect your writing skills, going into year 2.
What have you learned from the module?
I have learnt a lot about the worlds perception of various taboo subjects and the history of these things. It has taught me to see things in a different light.

What parts of the module have you found most useful and why?
The handouts and the heavy reliance of IT, allowing the WOLF archives to be full of useful handouts and presentations.

What parts do you think were a waste of time and why?
I don't think any of the module was a waste of time, it was all relevant.

Are there any other comments you wish to make regarding ‘Being Bad’?
Only my disappointment at potentially being penalised even though technically I was working within the rules of the assignment - in relation to the creation of date marker drafts that are filled in later.

However, I really enjoyed this module, initially I was concerned about the content but it turned out to be an absolute joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment